Subject: Re: Implementing jail
To: None <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Simas Mockevicius <Simas@remo.lt>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2002 10:48:49
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Martin Husemann wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:25:26AM +0200, Simas Mockevicius wrote:
>>
>> > FreeBSD have nice tool jail command, which locks particular
>> directory tree, creates virtual server on real server, does NetBSD
>> have similar tool?
>>
>> No, NetBSD does not support jails. While this may be a prominent case,
>> it's believed to be a special case of a more general problem and it's
>> not clear if "jail" is the right answer. Unfortunately there is
>> nothing more general available in NetBSD either :-(
>
> Note: we have chroot, which adds the fs-tree-limiting part. We just
> don't do the virtual server part, as mentioned above.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Hi, again,

but NetBSD have in the TODO list this tool? Or maybe there are another
thoughts about how to create on the running system virtual server, lets
say, for virtual hosting? I think it would be a great idea. Lets see: we
create a fe-tree with chroot, but we can also add an option like another
IP address working on that "virtual" server, maybe even emulating other
os, like linux? Now very hard to control many virtual servers, or very
expensive to buy a seprate machines to all clients. Or I am dreaming ? :)

Sincerely,
Symka.