Subject: re: Fork bomb protection patch
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2002 17:03:46

   I would support lowering the default per-user process limit back to 80; I
   suspect it was raised for the sake of convenience for those who run huge
   numbers of server processes under a single UID (e.g. apache) but don't
   understand how to raise the resource limit, which was a silly reason if
   it's why it was done.  Certainly it was a mistake to raise the *per-user*

it was raised because users run that many processes.  desktop users
run many programs.  if you run "konqueror" by itself, you get about
10 processes.  i've never had a problem with servers and this limit.

   limit but not the *system-wide* limit, as each user can now consume twice
   as many slots in a table of limited size.

agreed.

.mrg.