Subject: Re: tuning for small memory machines
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2002 22:50:31
when the last process reference to a file goes away, the pages for
that file no longer count as "exec", but only as "file".  so pages
for /sbin/ttyflags pages will be reused pretty quickly.  if ttyflags
is run again, those pages count as "exec" while the program is running
and then turn back into "file" when it exits.

this mechanism could be thwarted by someone doing
"sleep 1000000000 < /sbin/ttyflags &" before running ttyflags,
but that doesn't seem very important.

-Chuck