Subject: Re: fd hard errors
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2002 09:05:07
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 21:15:26 -0800 (PST)
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:

> If there's no way to detect from the drive that there is no disk in the
> drive, or that it's write-protected (I seem to remember write-protection
> actually generating a failure on a write...), I'd say probably an eight-

I do not know it yet, but when this problem happens, the kernel shows a
message saying write_protect...

> count or ten-count on that would be a good rule of thumb; i.e. if you're
> failing on ten consecutive blocks, especially on a floppy, the floppy's
> probably pretty well unusable.

Yes, this could be another solution. But I wonder how linux manages this...
IIRC, this did not happen in it (Can anybody confirm?)

Thanks

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>