Subject: Re: fd hard errors
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/2002 21:15:26
If there's no way to detect from the drive that there is no disk in the
drive, or that it's write-protected (I seem to remember write-protection
actually generating a failure on a write...), I'd say probably an eight-
count or ten-count on that would be a good rule of thumb; i.e. if you're
failing on ten consecutive blocks, especially on a floppy, the floppy's
probably pretty well unusable.