Subject: Re: keeping the process start time in core at all times...
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/30/2002 13:00:20
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I damn near fixed this in my own source tree but I've been too lazy to
> maintain the changes (and I'm also still not exactly sure how/why it
> went away and whether or not it can be restored without actually moving
> p_start from struct pstats).

It went away when ps was changed to use sysctl() calls to fetch all
the data.

That said, I have heard lots of people who mentioned that they miss the
start time being displayed by ps.  The stats part of the U is either 224
bytes on a 32bit arch or 448 bytes on a 64bit arch - I think that's too
big to add to struct proc, but adding just the start time is something
I'd be for...

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/