Subject: Re: tuning for small memory machines
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/29/2002 10:15:38
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 02:11:12PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> I'm running with vm.anonmax=95 now.

are you still using the defaults for the mins?
I'm guessing you have about 6MB of RAM to play with after overhead,
so by default you'd probably use the whole 15% of the file and exec
minimums.  that would only leave 85% to anon, even with the higher anonmax.

> Now, the question is should we automatically tune vm.anonmax up high
> for low-memory situations?  And what would qualify as a "low-memory"
> situation?

giving vm.anonmax a higher default value would be fine, maybe just go with
the 95%.  the current numbers are just something that worked well for me,
I didn't spend much time experimenting.

I'm glad that you're looking into this area.

-Chuck