Subject: Re: Disk Quota's over NFS
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2002 22:17:25
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:09:35AM +1300, Duncan McEwan wrote:
> > What version are you running ?
>
> Doh...!  How could I forget to mention something as important as that... :-(
>
> NetBSD 1.6D on both client and server...

OK. Kernel too old. 1.6D is between 2002/07/06 and 2002/07/25, I fixed
the bug on  2002/09/01

The fix is in nfs_bio.c, rev 1.82

> > A bug behaving like that has been fixed before 1.6 was released ...
>
> So the suggestion here is that quota's *are* expected to work correctly over
> NFS...?

Yes

> If so, are there any extra options that need to be given to the mount command
> to turn quotas on?  Our mounts are usually done by amd but to try to simplify
> my testing I've also been working with a manually mounted file system that was
> mounted with the option "userquota".  That didn't make any difference.

No, no special options. The server will return an error to the client when
the user is over quota. The bug I fixed was that the client ignores the error.
Note that it's not specific to quotas (but it's the easiest way to notice):
any error on the server side (such as file system full, I/O error, etc)
would be ignored by the client.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>