Subject: Call for volunteers: COMPAT_DARWIN needs you!
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/2002 19:55:11
Hi everybody.

A few calls for help and volunteering to help making our MacOS X
emulation a reality:

1) We (Christos and I) have trouble to keep COMPAT_DARWIN on i386 in
sync with the PowerPC version. The first reason is that we don't have
any live Darwin/i386 system to check how it really works.

Anyone can help here? No need for root account, regular user is enough.
But we need the development tools (nm, cc and gdb...)

2) On the PowerPC, there are many independant problems to fix, so it is
easy to go faster and fix them in paralell, but we lack the manpower to
do it. If you have some spare time, please join the adventure. There is
no need to be a kernel expert to do some useful job here, so don't be
shy.

3) Testing: exploring all the possible behaviours of system calls and
check that the emulation is okay is a time consuming job, help is
welcome here. Ideally, we should build a conformance test suite. This is
pure userland work, it is easy to help.

4) NeXTStep expertise: when we will hack on the graphic display support,
we will probably have to build some simple Cocoa applications to
understand how things work. If you know NeXTStep, you can help a lot
here.

5) On a lower priority front, we would like to make COMPAT_MACH actually
usefull for running pure Mach binaries. To acheive this, we need a live
mach/i386 system and a a NetBSD/i386 developement box (I don't have
this) with a developper on it...

I hope I'll get a few replies.

--=20
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
"L'achitecture x86 est impossible =E0 aimer." (John Hennessy)
manu@netbsd.org