Subject: Re: Status of NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/26/2002 21:36:14
On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:02:39PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY seems to radically improve performance on my laptop,
> but I've been cautioned by a couple of people that it is unstable and
> has been known to ruin disks. Is anyone working on fixing it?

I'm running NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY on three machines:

  - Sparc (SPARCstation-20L) with one SCSI disk
  - I386 (AMD Athlon 1) with two SCSI disks, part as CCD
  - I386 AMD Athlon 4) with one SCSI disk, one (unused) IDE disk

I didn't see any problems so far.

There was a thread on current-users starting with a mail from
Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net> on Thu, 31 Oct 2002 but to
my knowledge these problems have gone.

The QUEUEDEBUG problem is fixed (thanks enami).

Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com> had a problem with softdep
enabled (pending blocks/files < 0). As I have not heard
anything I suppose this problem is also fixed.
--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)