Subject: Re: RAIDframe: why are only "root" raidsets closed on reboot/halt?
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/24/2002 10:27:14
"Eric S. Hvozda" writes:
> I have recently discovered the joy of RAIDframe and used it to
> further bullet-proof a few key machines.
>
> However, I have noticed a some what annoying "feature".
>
> Seemingly, only raidsets which are marked for auto-detection and
> are the root raidset actually get closed on reboot/halt.

Hmmm... That shouldn't be the case.  Any RAID set (whether auto-configured or
not) that has all open partitions closed will have the parity status bits
updated properly...

> This is fairly annoying when building any storage system that
> contains anything moderately complex.
>
> Why is this?

Dunno, cause it shouldn't be doing that.

> Why not avoid the parity rebuild hit by actually closing all raidsets
> or at least those that are marked as auto-detect?  Further why not
> close/unconfigure all "volume set" style devices (ie RAIDframe,
> ccd, etc)?

If the partitions on those sets get closed, then the corresponding RAID sets
will get properly taken care of..  If something keeps a partition open, then
the RAID set won't get properly shutdown.

> This seems like a reasonable thing to do; but I wonder if someone
> is already looking at it or someone needs to come forward and do
> the work?
>
> Questions, answers, discussion...?

Later...

Greg Oster