Subject: Re: IPv4 Packet Processing in NetBSD
To: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2002 06:44:32
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:15:44PM +0100, Joel Wilsson wrote:

> Okay, you can read it, but only if you all point out the errors
> I'm sure exist in this first draft ;)

> It's a bit short, I think, so if you could point out anything you think
> is missing that'd be great.

As a newbie to kernel hacking in general, and to the network code in
specific, I would really love to see a paragraph or two on what assumptions
the networking code (m_aux_find, etc.) make concerning how the packet data
is layed out within the mbufs.

I am looking at adding 3Com VLT VLAN support to the Ethernet code, and
the unique problem is that the extra VLT bytes are at the front of the
packet. It would seem simple to just slice off 4 bytes from the front
and (if needed) rearrange bytes from the data portion, but that would
appear to break the usage of m_aux_find in ether_input at the very least.

I'm reading the source to try to understand this more, but I for one would
welcome someone who is more competant than I giving a hand. :)

Thanks,
David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Christian, Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   ".... As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15