Subject: Re: killing the unkillable
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2002 20:01:08
On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:56:15 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> Can someone point me to the code or documentation about why some processes
> won't be killed?

I do not know, but this is *very* *annoying*. For example, place a damaged
CDRW in the recorder, try to mount or umount it and if for some reason it
gets stalled, the process will become unkillable and you will need to reboot
the system to be able to eject it. I guess that you are talking about similar
situations, isn't it?

I wonder how this could be "fixed"...

You said this happened in 1.6, but also happens in current (and I've seen
this behavior in linux and freebsd too in some similar situations...)

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>