Subject: Issue with large memory systems, revisited
To: tech-kern@netbsd.org, <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/07/2002 20:07:40
Hi,

Something else has proved to be interesting regarding my PowerMac with 1.5
gigs of memory. Many of my initial tests were done with 512 megs due to
the fact that I was waiting for the delivery of the rest of the memory.

In my initial tests, I was able to run up to 1,700 to 1,800 tasks; later
setups reliably stopped around 1,400 tasks (I changed the numerb of
nvnodes configured by default, for instance).

What's really interesting, though, is when I moved from 512 megs to 1.5
gigs, the number of simultaneous tasks dropped from slightly over 1,400 to
1,000.

Is the macppc pmap really this screwed up? Does anyone know what kinds of
variables to change to try to get a more balanced system? Are there people
out there that run large memory PowerPC systems? If not, why not?

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs