Subject: Re: disklabel handling functions
To: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/01/2002 08:34:52
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:09:36PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > I'd say make it a new library.
>
> I'm inclined to say so too, but I don't make these decisions and other people
> are suggesting libutil.

Two reasons I think it should be its own library:

1) This stuff is really specialized, and I think will get intricate
(adding support for all the different machine types that matter). Also it
would be nice to grow this into something that can handle multuple
partitioning formats

2) struct disklabel will need to get retired at some point, as we will
need to use struct partition types with 64-bit counts. That'll probably
mean a major-number bump to this library. By making this a separate
library, we partition things nicely.

Take care,

Bill