Subject: Re: MI console detection
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2002 18:00:28
I thought the Alpha SRM firmware knew authoritatively where the console
was and that the NetBSD kernel need only ask it, just as with OpenFirmware.

My Alpha SRM User's Guide manual says in its introduction that the
"Alpha SRM Console provides the [...] Operator interface", and further
that it supports "local or remote console connections through serial
ports or Ethernet".  There's a "console" variable (poorly) described as
"When used with the set command this variable modifies the console
output to either the serial port or the graphics controller."  Seems
like it should be authoritative to me.

Shouldn't the Alpha be made to work more like the SPARC than the other
way around?

--
								Greg A. Woods