Subject: Re: chmod & symlink broken in 1.6
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2002 09:35:24
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Andrew Brown wrote:

# well, i'll admit to not having "every other unix system" to check, but
# based on the experience i've accumulated over the years, i feel i can
# authoritatively say that the way 4.4bsd derived systems deal with
# symlinks is a "little different".

I'm also a little sheepish at having to admit that in all my years I've
been doing UNIX, I never experimented with hard-linking symlinks!

# i think the phrase that's important is "underlying object pointed at
# by name1".  the file to which the symlink refers should be the
# "underlying object".

Yes, that's a pretty crucial point, there...

/me climbs down a notch, muttering something incomprehensible regarding
"history" and "research"...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: it's not free beer, but it's free.