Subject: Re: Beep on halt (definitive?)
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/22/2002 10:49:04
but think of the alternative: graphics consoles everywhere? kvm switches
everywhere? even an old pc with a cyclades card is about the cost of a
kvm switch with a comparable number of ports. the serial consoles can be
logged, you can get to a console from anywhere on the 'ent if you like,
and so on. think of the cost for an operator to keep on plugging monitors
and keyboards in to 1800 machines as needed, versus a one time cost of
probably 10-20 kilobux or so to wire the lot of them up to centralized
serial consoles.
at Pitt, where i did my undergrad, all the machines (only about 300,
admittedly) had their serial consoles tied in to a (!) vaxstation
running some software to easily manage the consoles of hundreds of
machines, log them, etc.. they had a second vaxstation clustered with it
and those two machines sat in the operator's booth/hangout area/holding
bay. terminal servers are pretty cheap on the used market, and make light
work of all this. you can put a terminal server in the same rack and on the
same ethernet... plus with serial consoles, the console traffic is data,
machine readable.. a script that's tailing a log of a console session can
notice that, say, a machine has panicked or the kernel wrote something out
(which in the case of some problem with syslog would never get logged..
i'd expect with 1800 machines that the syslogs talk over the network to
more centralized loggers?) , it can page you or send someone mail or
alert the world that theres a problem... etc etc etc.. i'd say it is way
nicer to have serial consoles, and then have those hooked into a terminal
server or something where a machine can keep an eye on it for me. the modern
buzzword 'autonomic computing' , which is just a rehash of several
previous generations of buzzwords, can be had for real with a bit of work
on the part of the sysadmin (as opposed to a mountain of work on the part
of a vendor, who will never wuite get the picture anyway)

just my 0.02,
isildur