Subject: Re: Beep events [was: beep on halt]
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/21/2002 12:17:54
[ On Monday, October 21, 2002 at 12:32:45 (+0200), Martin Husemann wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Beep events [was: beep on halt]
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 04:54:51PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>
> > IMHO, the idea of using sysctl here is a kernel bloat. Just
>
> Seconded.
> And sysctl name space bloat.

I'm not sure I could care.  It's already bloated.  What's one more
hierarchy or so?

> How often in your live will you change this settings - afterall you have
> to recompile the kernel anyway to enable the option at all.

Some people like to have run-time configurability.

Perhaps more properly phrased the question might be:  How many people
would want to change this setting from the way it is configured in a
pre-compiled kernel?

(How many people really do build their own kernels?  How many people who
would appreciate such a feature, or alternately would be offended in
some way by such a feature, build their own kernels?)

--
								Greg A. Woods