Subject: Re: Beep on halt (definitive?)
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2002 17:06:52
Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>  wrote:
 > > The point is to make it been once the system is halted, not when it's
 > > going to be halted.
 > To give an actual example:
 >
 > o i386 PC
 > 	- with AT power supply
 > 	- without display
 >
 > Since AT power supply has mechanical power switch, user must switch
 > off power by hand finally.  In this case, beep in a shutdown script
 > dose not help at all and kernel must notify user when it's OK to
 > switch off.

You know, you can just stick a console on a machine or buy a serial
console card... I just don't see any significant value in this
change.  Back before I had serial console cards, I'd halt my machine,
go crack a beer, take a leak, return some phone calls, sleep the night,
wake up the next morning, go to work, spend the day at work, come
home, have dinner, then say "ok, where was I?"  I don't need no stinking
beep.

---
Real PC Serial console & remote reset - The PC Weasel! http://www.realweasel.com