Subject: Re: Beep events [was: beep on halt]
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2002 18:10:54
[ On Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 23:47:51 (+0200), Julio Merino wrote: ]
> Subject: Beep events [was: beep on halt]
>
> Hello (again)
>
> According to what people has suggested and seen that this interests to
> several people, I've made some more changes to my patch.
>
> First, all variables go inside sysctl's kern. namespace. This is the most
> logical thought, as this can work in several platforms, not just i386 (to
> be implemented). Also, the beeps can be called from, for example, ddb or
> any other MI part of the kernel (as somebody said, when panic'ing or
> entering the debugger).
>
> So, this is what my sysctl reports now:
>
> $ sysctl -a | grep beep
> kern.beep.onhalt.count = 0
> kern.beep.onhalt.pitch = 1500
> kern.beep.onhalt.period = 250
> kern.beep.onreboot.count = 0
> kern.beep.onreboot.pitch = 1500
> kern.beep.onreboot.period = 250

you still have the hierarchy levels backwards.

these are kernel actions to perform when certain well defined events,
such as halt or boot, occur.

producing a beep is only one of the possible actions to perform at these
times

	kern.onhalt.beep.count = 0
	kern.onhalt.beep.pitch = 1500
	kern.onhalt.beep.period = 250