Subject: Re: Beep on halt
To: None <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2002 02:04:48
In message <20021019181728.72702411.jmmv@menta.net>
	on Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:17:28 +0200,
	Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net> wrote:
> I have added a new (small, very small) feature to the kernel. It makes the
> kernel beep when it halts, i.e., after saying "The operating system has
> halted.". (If you are not interested in this, at least keep reading as I
> have some questions ;-)
>
> Well, why is this useful? Imagine you have a server, that does not have a
> screen (I'm sure you have one hehe). When I need to halt my server (that
> does not allow a power off), I have to wait some time until I can notice
About 1 years ago, I discussed with my colleague the same function.
Its target wasn't NetBSD but old FreeBSD.

At that time, we thought this functionality should be controllable
with sysctl(8).

kern.shutdown_beep.on		(bool)	beep on shutdown or not
kern.shutdown_beep.duration	(int)	beep time in some unit
kern.shutdown_beep.pitch	(int)	pitch of beep
kern.shutdown_beep.count	(int)	beep number of times

"kern.shutdown_beep.on" might not be needed since it could be
represented with setting "kern.shutdown_beep.count" to 0 or not.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>