Subject: Re: uvm_pagefaults in 1.5.3 & 1.6
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Bartram <scott@bartram.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2002 07:59:23
I can also report the exact same symptoms on an AMD 850 in an
ABIT KT7 motherboard using 512MB DIMMS. My system was pretty
stable under 1.5.3 although it wasn't used for much more than
sup, building a few packages, and some light NFS serving.

After upgrading to 1.6, I could crash it reliably every time
I built a kernel or package. After one crash the filesystems
were all dirty and the system could not finish the parallel
fsck without a panic - I had to boot single and check each
one individually.

Most, but not all, of the panics were pagefaults during disk
activity. Many of the panics were in the "random" hooks in
the ufs code.

I've tried swapping 4 DIMMS and setting the BIOS to "fail-safe"
mode with no luck yet.