Subject: Re: Orphaned devices in config(8)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/16/2002 02:00:30
>> Well, I don't really want to warn about them all the time ... maybe
>> just if -v is specified (as for non-defopt'd options).

> ...maybe like so?  [...]

Well, this is armchair-quarterbacking, but I'd say that I'd really like

(a) have undeclared options separate from orphaned devices

(b) have at least these treatments available for orphaned devices:

	msg at config(8) time?

	 v	yes	no	<--- include driver code?
	none	(b1)	(b2)
	warn	(b3)	(b4)
	error	----(b5)----

(b5 covers both columns because on config errors, a build really
shouldn't occur, so including drivers is an inapplicable issue.)

This harks back to the previous discussion about orphaned devices, when
some voices wanted to silently snip out orphaned device subtrees
(though IIRC this was largely also associated with a "no" keyword, for
doing things like `include "GENERIC"' and then `no device vme', in
which case silently deleting orphaned devices makes more sense).  The
silently-snip option would be b2 in the above chart....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign