Subject: Re: uvm_pagefaults in 1.5.3 & 1.6
To: None <don+nbsdtk@resun.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2002 10:53:20
On 11 Oct 2002 don+nbsdtk@resun.com wrote:

> But first running it under 1.5.3.  I finally determined that a
> software system that I wrote seemed to be related to the problem.
> When that system wasn't running, I could go for weeks w/o any
> crashes.  So, that system is currently off.

Oh. That's interesting. If it's all userland, it shouldn't be able to
crash the system. oops! If you get a panic and you have ddb in the kernel,
try "t" to get a stack trace.

> As you can see from the above, I'm trying to migrate to 1.6 in the
> hopes that some of the uvm problems had been found/fixed.  As it
> turns out, 1.6 is even less stable than 1.5.3 was!  I can't even
> compile a new kernel without having the compiler fault and/or having
> the system hang or get a uvm_fault.  I can push through the errors,
> and ultimately get a bootable kernel, but I've tried 60 times to get
> mozilla to compile, and can try to push past the errors about five
> times before hanging/getting a uvm_pagefault.  I have two or three
> system dumps of the problem, if that would be a help.
>
> I'm more than happy to help whoever try and track down/debug the
> problem.  I just need the instructions on what information I need to
> provide.

That's very strange. I have a SIS 735-based Athlon system, and I'm not
seeing those problems. Does the box also run Windows? If so, try it and
see if it too has problems. With 512 MB of RAM, you should be fine for
compiling most things, even Mozilla I think.

Do you have any swap configured?

Take care,

Bill