Subject: Re: multi-volume dump fails, problem with st driver?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2002 00:30:17
At 22:49 Uhr +0200 3.10.2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> Everything is fine until I insert the second tape: dump thinks it's already
>> at the EOT and aborts (but it's certainly not, since I just rewound it).
>
>Did you try 'mt eew' before dump ? I had to use this for multidumps on
>hexabyte ...

I don't think it is 'early warning for EOM' he gets. His is a QIC drive...
QIC drives transparently write two filemarks at EOD, and st(4) doesn't play
nice with this habit.

I had to hack st.c from NetBSD 1.3 to 1.5.x to get it to work with Tandberg
QIC drives - the issue bites Amanda, too. 1.6 appears to fix the issue, so
an upgrade would help here. Scott, if that is not an option, ask me for the
1.5 patches.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign