Subject: Re: Info regarding Hibernation
To: Himanshu Sharma <n9d07031@iitb.ac.in>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2002 20:23:20
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:31:43PM +0530, Himanshu Sharma wrote:
> > Can any one tell me whether any work is going on
> > regarding
> > the implementation of Hibernation for NET-BSD.
> >
> > Any pointers are more than welcome
>
> Hi all ,
>
> Is this question not for this group...or is it not on the
> priority/wish_list..

Are you referring to hibernation of laptops to disc? This does work on
some laptops (e.g. on some that use a seperate disc partition for it and
hibernate totally in the BIOS) but not on others that require OS
intervention.

There are several ways to do this for these special cases, including:

1. Hook into each laptop vendor's implementation.

2. Implement it within NetBSD; a hibernate system call would save all
state to disc and set necessary flags so that on reboot the system is
resumed. (I believe there is a patch for Linux that does something
similar.)

AFAIK no-one is working on this.

best wishes,
Chris