Subject: Re: Info regarding Hibernation
To: Himanshu Sharma <>
From: Chris Pinnock <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2002 20:23:20
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:31:43PM +0530, Himanshu Sharma wrote:
> > Can any one tell me whether any work is going on
> > regarding
> > the implementation of Hibernation for NET-BSD.
> >
> > Any pointers are more than welcome
> Hi all ,
> Is this question not for this group...or is it not on the
> priority/wish_list..

Are you referring to hibernation of laptops to disc? This does work on
some laptops (e.g. on some that use a seperate disc partition for it and
hibernate totally in the BIOS) but not on others that require OS

There are several ways to do this for these special cases, including:

1. Hook into each laptop vendor's implementation.

2. Implement it within NetBSD; a hibernate system call would save all
state to disc and set necessary flags so that on reboot the system is
resumed. (I believe there is a patch for Linux that does something

AFAIK no-one is working on this.

best wishes,