Subject: Re: Overhaul device parent matching in config(8)/kernel
To: MAEKAWA Masahide <bishop@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2002 15:09:07
> Maybe you don't need to do that. I have done almost.
> My changes will nuke all ``needs-count'' for pseudo devices from files and
> support fully cloning. Some of pseudo devices will be loadable.

Okay, sounds like you did something similar to something I prototyped
(for network interfaces) and then handed off to Andrew Brown.

Note that there's a backwards-compat/upgrade issue lurking here --
either you create some number of devices by default (and then allow
cloning of new ones), you have to tweak /etc/rc.d/* scripts to DWIM
for newly-cloning devices, or you have to make the user tweak things
manually.

My approach was to allow these devices to optionally take a count (the
number to instantiate at boot time) but allow that default to be zero
if it is not mentioned in the config file.

i.e.

	pseudo-device ppp 2

vs

	pseudo-device ppp

I didn't have time to finish this so I forwarded my diffs to Andrew..

					- Bill