Subject: Re: Firmware and kernel image compression
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/17/2002 20:49:33
>> it is possible to apply for a universal patent for sw.
>> but it costs a lot of money.
> Not one that would have any coverage in Canada, for example.  At
> least not yet.  Software patents are not allowed here,

Actually, they appear to be allowed, through basically the same
subtrefuge that allows them in the USA.  For example, I have personally
worked with the Canadian LZW patent document, and it is an algorithm
patent in that it is a Bernstein mental process patent.  I doubt I
could teach the algorithm to someone else without infringing the patent
(assuming I were to attempt it in a place where Canadian patents apply,
of course).

Or, let me be precise.  I have worked with a document that purported to
be a Canadian patent; the algorithm it described was as far as I could
tell identical to LZW.  The co-worker who obtained the document told me
it was obtained by requesting it by patent number from wherever one
then requested copies of Canadian patents.  (This was a few years ago -
1997-01-01 and 2000-12-31 bracket the dates.)

> and though there is some pressure to allow them to be granted I for
> one hope they never are allowed.

I no longer have the patent number at ready hand.  I can probably get
it, if you're interested.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign