Subject: Re: RFC: framebuffer device support in NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2002 22:42:04
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:17:03PM +0200, der Mouse wrote:

> Really?  I thought much of the ugliness was because on some peecee
> video hardware, you _can't_ access all of video memory at once - you
> have to do something akin to bank-switching.

Yes, there has been hardware that did/needed that.

You probabaly will need/want to keep the old "X does it all by itself"
interface in the X server (uh, actually I don't know if those cards are
still supported in XFree 4.2.x).

For the "real" wsdisplay, use Bang Jun-Youngs machfb driver (for ATI VGA
cards in graphics mode) instead of the dumb text mode vga driver.

Martin