Subject: Re: RFC: framebuffer device support in NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/2002 15:33:33
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:07:29PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> One of the big benefits of splitting out the `fb' side from the `wsdisplay'
> side is the splitting up of wscons as a sole `framebuffer' user
> inderpendent of what arch and the `fb' as a MD driver for the graphics.

It seems to me you either do not understand wsdisplay/wscons or you
are describing your ideas very unclear (to me, at least).

There is a MD driver attaching to the hardware, there is an abstract
wsdisplay connected to that driver, which together with some kbd/mouse/mux
things makes up wscons - nothing you described so far can not be done
with the framework in place (modulo maybe some missing ioctls, that can either
be added or are subject of further discussion vs. their usefullness).

It's pretty obvious there are ommisions in wscons, which need to be filled.
But what is the big difference to the thing you are proposing? I'm realy
unable to see it, sorry.

Martin