Subject: Re: use of LIST macros from sys/queue.h
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/2002 07:42:57
At 03:44 AM 9/5/2002, David Laight wrote:
>I've just updated my sources and had to fix several conflicts
>caused by the gratuitous obfustaction of several routines
>by changing quite simple code to use the LIST_FIRST, LIST_NEXT
>and LIST_FOREACH marcros.
>
>Is there some deep motive behind this, or is someone going
>mad on unnecessary data abstraction.
>
>IMHO these linked list structures are simple and don't need
>macros for these operations (maybe for insert and delete).

IMHO these macro perform a useful service.  They allow a common
implementation of common list operations.  By defining QUEUEDEBUG
the macros can validate the list operations.  Lastly, by seeing
the standard queue macros, you know exactly what type of list
is being used (list, simpleq, tailq, circleq) and that's useful.