Subject: Where to put firmware?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/23/2002 03:46:27
I have a device that needs a firmware download to work.
The firmware is 100kbyte, so I don't want to bloat the kernel
with it.  The firmware loader itself can happily live in the
kernel (it's easier for various reasons).
So this leads to my question: where in the file system should
I put the firmware?  I'd prefer to have it in the root file system,
but there's not good a place for it.  I guess /usr/lib/libdata might do,
if I don't insist on keeping it in the root.

(Yes, putting the firmware in FS means that the device can't be used
during booting; I don't care.)

    -- Lennart