Subject: Re: microtime
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2002 12:48:40
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, der Mouse wrote:

> Actually, since to a very good approximation the systems are at rest
> with respect to one another, it does.  Relativity does say that by
> choosing an appropriate inertial frame, two events separated by a
> spacelike distance can appear to occur in either order.  But for
> computers on this planet, we have a distinguished interial frame, the
> one with respect to which both machines are at rest to an excellent
> approximation.  And it *does* make sense to (try to) synchronize their
> clocks *with respect to that frame*.  (Yes, if you're driving - or
> flying! - around with your machine, these assumptions may be violated.
> In that case you may *not* get nanosecond accuracy - but that's not a
> reason to give up on getting it for stationary machines.)

Heh. Minor nit to pick. Since the earth is rotating, we aren't really in
an intertial frame. And since the earth is round, each point on earth has
a different MCIF (Momentarily-Colinear (?) Inertial Frame - the frame that
at any one instant looks like the accelerating (rotating) frame). But I
agree we can get to a good approximation. :-)

Take care,

Bill