Subject: Re: Frame-buffer consoles -- discussion
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/20/2002 13:03:58
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:34:58AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>
>  > 	Just to try to throw a small nut adjusting tool into the mix:
>  > 	On some pmax hardware a 1 bit display can use one byte per pixel
>  > 	(I believe to remain somewhat compatible with the 8bit displays)
>  > 	I don't know if other hardware plays similar (or more painful) games.
>
> Those are an 8bpp display, with RI_FORCEMONO and a funky colormap :-)

That distinction indicates the one niggle I have with the discussion, that
there isn't much distinction between memory bits per pixel and chromatic
(color info) bits per pixel. The above card has 8 memory bits per pixel,
but only 1 chromatic bit. Also I know there were Apple display cards that
were 24 bits of cromatic info per pixel, but they took up 32 bits of
memory (they actually had three 8-bit memory chips that they hooked up to
three of the four memory byte lanes; there was nothing on the fourth
byte lane).

How can we address that? Most users will think in terms of the chromatic
bits per pixel, not necessarily memory.

Take care,

Bill