Subject: Debugging trouble - hw emulator?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/20/2002 19:09:44
I've got some debugging to do that's being difficult.  It's currently
on i386, and at a certain point the machine just hard-resets, no
dropping into ddb, nothing useful on the console (I tried using serial
console to see), just suddenly boom, back at the BIOS splash screen.

So I'd like to know, is there any supported architecture for which
there is a hardware emulator good enough to boot the appropriate NetBSD
port?  For example, I've heard of plex86 for Intel; does it work well
enough?  I'd like an emulator because then I can freeze machine state
and go poking around debugging even inside the kernel.

Of course, I have other tactics available, and I'll be pursuing some of
them.  But if there's an emulator that's suitable, that could be a
right answer.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign