Subject: Re: pci-cardbus bridge woes
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jolan Luff <jolan@cryptonomicon.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/2002 16:11:35
On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:34:48AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> Hm, while that dmesg output showed that you do not have cbb in your
> kernel config file, PCIBIOS does seem to detect that cbb does not have
> an irq assigned, so it probably won't work even if you add it.

Oof. I thought it was in GENERIC and the driver wasn't being loaded
because it didn't have an interrupt or something. (It made sense at
4am but doesn't now :) )

I flipped on cbb and as expected, it didn't load the driver since
it didn't have an interrupt.

I applied the patch you sent me and it did map an interrupt for
bridge.  My machine currently hardlocks after the "biosmask" line comes
up.  Flipping on DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC did not reveal anything more.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the bridge is being mapped an
incorrect IRQ.  It looks like the cbb is using irq 5, when under
FreeBSD, it uses irq 3 (which works fine).  I tried a couple of
things.  I removed the auvia driver which was mapping the on-board
audio to irq 5.  I also removed RAIDframe (I had an earlier issue
with it, it was a shot in the dark) but that didn't help either.

So my guess is that the old VIA fix-up code is not working on my
newer BIOS, and is using an incorrect irq and causing the machine to
lock.  Do you concur with this?  Any other suggestions?

thanks,

- jolan