Subject: Re: new sysctl - privilaged ports runtime option?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Joe Reed <jnr@po.cwru.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/07/2002 13:59:07
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:47, Greywolf wrote:

> I didn't see the original message; what, exactly, are we aiming for here,
> and to what end?
the point is to replace the compile-time kernel option NOPRIVPORTS with a
runtime one.  my reasons are explained in yesterday's post (see
mail-index.netbsd.org)

> I'd say to check the securelevel, you should get the value from
> kern.securelevel (obvious, no?).
that's fine, for code that is outside of the kernel.  i'm already within the
kernel, modifying the sysctl code.

> If this is doing what I think it's doing, I would say that it should be
> active only on securelevels ABOVE (not including) 1.
the point is to make the option of allowing unprivilaged users to bind to
ports <1024 a runtime config option.  if you set your securelevel high, i
woudl think that you would not want this (potientially less secure) option.
the code does not allow the sysctl if the securelevel is high.

--joe