Subject: Re: Memory Protection Error and system call info
To: None <Manikandan97@netscape.net, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/2002 11:30:43
--- Manikandan97@netscape.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would to catch the memory protection error
> occurred for the userland process inside kernel and
> get some info abt that userland process before it is
> removed from the memory and active process
> list(allproc list).
>
> Is there way to catch memory protection error
> occurred for a userland process inside the kernel ?

you can do  this outside the kernel in a signal
handler. if you want to place a system-wide debug code
inside the kernel, thats do-able but note that there
are quite a few important userland processes that you
may not want to mess around  with (like init).
> Which is the right place in the kernel to catch this
> memory protection error ?
>
> I understand that Signals (like SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2) can
> be used to inform asynchronous kernel events to
> userland process. Is there any other method that i
> can use for informing asynchronous events from
> kernel to userland processes ?

dunno. maybe dependent on why the signal is raised in
the first place. if its related to a hw event, then it
must be in the bottom half of the kernel.

> Where i can find the document/howto for adding the
> new system calls in the kernel ?. There is a
> refrence for the same in Kernel FAQ. But it did n;t
> give much info.

sys/kern/syscalls.c