Subject: Re: sys/dev/pci/pucdata.c
To: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2002 22:36:11
In message: <yov54reqmknx.fsf@broadcom.com>
            cgd@broadcom.com writes:
: At Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:59:35 +0000 (UTC), joda@pdc.kth.se wrote:
: > itojun@iijlab.net writes:
: > > 	why vendor/product code are hardcoded, instead of pcidevs.h?
: >
: > I suppose the reason is that some of the entries are either masks, or
: > sub vendor/product ids, and so not in pcidevs. But I see no reason to
: > not use mnemonics when available.
:
: Well, in fact, _half_ of the entries are masks.  8-)
:
: There are a couple of other things:
:
: * it would have made the table formatting ... much uglier.
:
: * if you actually use vendor/product codes from pcidevs, then it's
:   possible that an accidental change to pcidevs will break puc.
:   Unlikely, but a little bit of a concern.  (much more of a concern
:   than for most other drivers, because of the number of IDs in the
:   pucdata table.)
:
: (Also, at the time, it would have substantially added to the number of
: entries in pcidevs, which seemed unnecessary and a little bit
: inappropriate since nothing except the pucdata table would ever use
: the IDs.)
:
:
: in a nutshell, "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Sure makes it easier to share with FreeBSD.  FreeBSD doesn't have
pcidevs.

Warner