Subject: Re: dell 2600 installation
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2002 17:26:36
Le Sun, 28 Jul 2002 08:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
Kamal Prasad a écrit :
>  I have a wasabisystems netbsd 1.5 cd.
> I tried istalling it on my dell 2600.
> he bootup procedure failed to go past my modem
> (recognized model as 0x2840).
> so the bootup procedure is not skipping past unknown
> devices.

Actually, I'd guess it's hanging on something else. I had such a trouble
with my i2500 : it appeared apm(4) was in cause.

Try booting another kernel : look into the installation/floppies directory
of the cd and try the boot-tiny one.

> secondly, when I used the power reset button, it
> failed to reboot the system (windows xp does it
> fine).I had to take my battery off to get it to
> reboot.

That's a bit weird. With such a hang, I'd press the button for like ten
seconds to force a poweroff.

> details of the model are available on the dell website
> (re:- model#, subpart$ etc..).
> also, fips20 says it cannot recognize my ntfs file
> system type.
> so Im not able to re-size my partititon.
> Id appreciate any help on this.

I doubt it's able to resize winxp partitions. Maybe a tool like Partition
Magic would be more appropriate.

cube

--
That's how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything
for the swim back.