Subject: Re: dual boot for beige powermac G3
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/2002 13:16:32
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Kamal Prasad wrote:

> I have MacOS/X installed on  1 partition of my hard
> disk. I want to install netbsd on the other.
> is there a dual boot loader for this?
> platform is powermac G3 beige.
> the firmware is not v. cooperative, so I want to be
> sure  the machine won't get hosed up before I do that.

I have a beige G3, and there is not a dual boot loader that I've found.
And I don't think we'll find one. Mainly as MacOS X and NetBSD have
different OFW boot requirements. MacOS X wants real-base set to -1
(ffffffff) while NetBSD wants it set to f00000.

I dual-boot, but it's a manual process. When switching OSs, I change
real-base, then 'reset-all'. I'm aided by the fact I netboot NetBSD, so
disk partitions aren't a problem.

MacOS X uses a boot partition to help load. I experimented with an
installboot that would move its boot partition before or after the MacOS X
one, so you could control which OS booted. But I didn't get it to work. I
now realize I had disk spin problems, so I should try again. :-)

Take care,

Bill