Subject: Re: wscons and multihead
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2002 22:19:25

> I've got two videocards in my machine, i386. One is AGP and the other PCI.
> I'm wondering if wscons supports multihead. Although, I have tried to make

no. wscons can't initialize second card and it's not done with BIOS.

> vga(4) detect both cards, but it does not work. It only finds the AGP one.
> (they work in X with Xinerama)

if you want to make dual-workstation (i.e. 2 monitors, cards, kbd, mouse)
for use by 2 people simultanously i already made (not all myself, but all
really tested) set of patches for XFree86 that allows it.

Unfortunately i never managed to get more than 4 X servers working, but
that's hardware problems.
lots of gfx cards are designed so some of their registers are always in
standard VGA space, so can't be shared :(

BTW. using old 486/PCI for Xterminals looks even nicer for that.