Subject: Re: Adding video mode info to struct wsscreen_descr
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2002 11:13:41
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:33:48PM +0900, TAKEMURA Shin wrote:
>
> > very good/sophisticated approach to describe a data structure
> > which is derived from generic structure. Some C++ compiler do
> > this internally to implement class inheritance mechanism.
> > In case above, it tells that 'wsdisplay_softc' is a subclass
> > of 'device'. Don't you think it is "right" ?
>
> Yes, but I'd like to say that C is not C++. :-/

So? :-) We have a number of places where we're doing objecty things in the
kernel. We just don't have C++'s built-in binding and dispatching; we do
it ourselves. Device drivers (struct devive) is an example of child
objects, and the VOP system is an example of manual dispatching. :-)

Take care,

Bill