Subject: Re: Adding video mode info to struct wsscreen_descr
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2002 16:49:44
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:44:54AM +0900, TAKEMURA Shin wrote:
> From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
> Subject: Re: Adding video mode info to struct wsscreen_descr
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:19:02 +0900
>
> > > I think you can freely add any members to struct wsscreen_descr like
> > > below. Or you can retreive your mode data searching with 'name' member
> > > of struct wsscreen_descr, which shuld be identical.
> >
> > Yes, but that's a quick hack and can't be a real solution in the
> > long run. I think "void *" cookie would be best, as of now.
>
> You've already use the hack for long time :-)
>
>     struct wsdisplay_softc {
>         struct device sc_dv;  /* <- HERE! */
>
>         const struct wsdisplay_accessops *sc_accessops;
>         void *sc_accesscookie;

"We can do more hack simply because there's already a hack." ;-)

To make a story simpler, wscons has support for both character cell
and raster displays, but it doesn't define where to save video mode
information for each screen. It only remembers screen size, e.g.
80x25. Isn't that unreasonable? wscons is designed to work on raster
display, but it doesn't have complete support for it.

If modecookie were there from the beginning, no one would hate
that...

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>