Subject: Re: Increasing SHMMAXPGS
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/08/2002 10:11:37
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> I had a very similar thought: why not put these shared memory segements
> in some real directory in a real file system, and then just implement
> access via mmap()? If one wants to remove an unused shared segment, just
> rm the file?

I thought about that too, in fact. The one real advantage this
gives you is that you've greatly expanded the potential amount of
shared memory you can allocate.

As for the rest, well, we already have ipcs and ipcrm, and we have
to keep them for use with the semaphores and message queues anyway.
Why spend time re-implementing functionality we already have, when we
can't even get rid of the old interface?

cjs