Subject: Re: kernel-assisted pre-emptive user-level threads? =]
To: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/04/2002 10:17:03
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:02:43AM -0700, sudog wrote:

 > But! :) Is there some kind of encouragement (money, postcards, chocolate) I
 > can send to whoever is working on NetBSD's specialized half-kernel,
 > half-userland threads?

Actually, the time is getting near where the kernel portion, at least,
is going to be pulled down to the mainline.

 > Is it NathanW, the author of the following paper:
 >
 > http://web.mit.edu/nathanw/www/usenix/freenix-sa/freenix-sa.html

Yes.  He's the person who designed and implemented Scheduler Activations
for NetBSD.  There are a few others of us who are trying to help get
the loose ends tied up.

So, I guess to reassure you, it is being worked on quite dilligently :-)