Subject: tlp* at pci? missing from GENERIC_LAPTOP (WAS: Re: NIC problem on
To: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@bigfoot.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/02/2002 13:17:16
yep.  it seems that 'tlp at pci?' is absent from GERNERIC_LAPTOP (hey,
don't ask me >:}) but present in INSTALL_LAPTIO -- cc'ing tech-kern@ if
someone wants to add...there may be a good reason it's not there.

bash-2.05# grep -i tlp GENERIC_LAPTOP
tlp*    at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # DECchip 21143
tlphy*  at mii? phy ?                   # ThunderLAN PHYs

bash-2.05# grep -i tlp INSTALL_LAPTOP
tlp*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # DECchip 21x4x (and clones)
Ethernet
#options       TLP_MATCH_21040
#options       TLP_MATCH_21041
#options       TLP_MATCH_21140
#options       TLP_MATCH_21142
tlp*    at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # DECchip 21143
tlphy*  at mii? phy ?                   # ThunderLAN PHYs

do two things:

*) Roll your own kernel
*) send-pr(8)

-lava

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 @ 1:02pm (+1000), J. Piers Hearn wrote:

JPH> I've just done an install of NetBSD 1.5.2 on my HP XE3 laptop, and
JPH> immediately run into a problem with my network card. The install floppies
JPH> went fine, my card was detected without a problem, and autoconfigured my ip
JPH> address fine. Downloaded install sets, installed, all fine. Rebooted, set
JPH> /etc/myname and /etc/mygate to appropriate values. Found my network not
JPH> working. Ran dmesg, saw that my NIC appeared to be getting recognised and
JPH> set correctly (an Accton Tech card of some sort, built in to the laptop),
JPH> but when I tried an 'ifconfig -a' it wasn't listed, and when I did
JPH> 'ifconfig tlp0' I got Device not configured.
JPH> Going back to my install floppies (using the INSTALL_LAPTOP kernel), and
JPH> running ifconfig -a, I got this:
JPH>
JPH> tlp0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
JPH> 	address: 00:d0:59:32:8d:5d
JPH> 	media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
JPH> 	status: active
JPH>
JPH> Running dmesg at this point provides the following:
JPH>
JPH> tlp0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ADMtek AN985 Ethernet, pass 1.1
JPH> tlp0: interrupting at irq 11
JPH> tlp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:59:32:8d:
JPH> ukphy0 at tlp0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
JPH> ukphy0: OUI 0x000895, model 0x0001, rev. 0
JPH> ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
JPH>
JPH> Back to my actual install (using the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel), I started
JPH> fiddling around, the dmesg appeared to have the same info as for the floppy
JPH> boot, but still nothing from ifconfig. Given that it was now 5am, I gave in
JPH> and left it for the next day. I don't know what I did, but now my NIC is
JPH> not even getting identified/configured -- when I look at my dmesg now I get:
JPH>
JPH> Accton Technology EN2242 10/100 Ethernet (ethernet network, revision 0x11)
JPH> at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configured.
JPH>
JPH> So. I figure I must have changed some setting so that this all stuffed up.
JPH> Anyone got any suggestions here?
JPH> Thanks in advance,
JPH> 	Piers.

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."