Subject: Re: wscons
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: David Ferlier <krp@freeshell.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/2002 14:53:52
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:04:43PM +0900, TAKEMURA Shin wrote:
> From: David Ferlier <krp@freeshell.org>
> Subject: wscons
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:21:46 +0000
>
> > Hi again. Sorry to have been so long, but i went through a serie of exams ;)
> >
> > So, for the scrolling patch, i followed all suggestions.
> >
> > First for the wscons commands : i defined four wskbd commands
> >
> >  - KS_Cmd_ScrollFastUp -> Scrolls up of the scroll.fastlines wsconsctl option
> >  - KS_Cmd_ScrollFastDown -> Scrolls down of the scroll.fastlines wsconsctl option
> >  - KS_Cmd_ScrollSlowUp -> Scrolls up of the scroll.slowlines wsconsctl option
> >  - KS_Cmd_ScrollSlowDown -> Scrolls down of the scroll.slowlines wsconsctl option
> >
> > These commands are to define in your keyboard map, like :
> >
> > keycode 200 = Cmd_ScrollSlowUp Up
> > keycode 201 = Cmd_ScrollFastUp Prior
> > keycode 208 = Cmd_ScrollSlowDown Down
> > keycode 209 = Cmd_ScrollFastDown Next
>
> It looks very good.
>
> > Keyboard side
> >
> > 1) scroll.mode. If set to 0, you can scroll with Modifier + Commands (the Linux behavior). If set to 1, you can use the behavior of FreeBSD : You need to press HoldScreen, then use the Commands to scroll up / down.
> >
> > 2) scroll.modifier. This is a unsigned integer. Each bit of the integer codes for a modifier (see sys/dev/wscons/wskbd.c).
>
> I've chacked your patch and I think you can do without 1) nor 2).

i didn't see the verb chack in my dictionnary : does it just mean "look at" ? ;-)

>   You can scroll with Cmd Modifier + scroll keys (the Linux behavior).
>   AND you can use the behavior of FreeBSD : You need to press HoldScreen,
>   then use scroll keys to scroll up / down.

I agree on one point : i think we definitely should remove the first option (the mode) : i used my patch for 2 or 3 days, and the two modes have advantages so let's activate both.

For the scroll.modifier option, don't you think it is a quite good idea ? The user is just supposed to know how to sum binary values. If we make a table with the values and the corresponding modifiers (in a man page, or directly printing it after the user modifies the modifier), i can't see any drawbacks or complexity in this option.

> ...please feel free to ignore this mail because I remember the war about
> key bindings and I know that your idea is more flexible than mine.
> But it's just that I'd like to have simple one.

this war was definitely helpful for me to find a more portable and flexible solution. If you don't like it, you can still propose a better one cause mine is more than perfectible. But if you already have an idea, would it allow the user to change the modifier on the fly ? In the kernel ? (my way of seeing should provide both)

--

Run NetBSD    - www.NetBSD.org
David Ferlier - krp@freeshell.org