Subject: Re: More on sorted I/O requests
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2002 01:41:59
On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 01:26 AM, Sean Davis wrote:

> I noticed this yesterday as well, when removing a core dump so that I=20=

> could
> savecore another without filling up the partition. I had to sync and=20=

> then
> savecore to make it work. Are the performance improvements from this
> signifigant enough to justify the annoyance of situations like that?
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 05:01:42PM +1200, Gregory McGarry wrote:
>> More to consider wrt sorted I/O requests.  If I fill a partition
>> by creating a large file, delete the file and attempt to create
>> another large file in its place, the delayed deletion operation
>> causes the second creation to fail.

I've noticed this before.  It's not an I/O order issue.  I had a root=20
partition that was close to full and copying a new kernel into it would=20=

fail the first time but succeed the second (since the old kernel had=20
been deleted by the previous failed copy.)  Turning off softdeps "fixed"=20=

the problem.

jf
--
John Franklin